Friday, September 25, 2009

Get Out Of My Face

I don't like it when brand represenatives try to make that extra sale when I don't want it.

I don't like it when the server at Starbucks asks me if I want a blueberry muffin with my cappuccino even though I am standing in front of them and quite clearly haven't asked for one with my order.I like it even less when a group of "volunteers" from Friends of the Earth, a brand I previously had a lot of time for, were virtually patrolling the pavements on Victoria Street, accosting pedestrians, some of whom were clearly not interested, and trying to get them to sign up. When I approached one of them with my camera phone pointing in their direction they scarpered and hid. I suggested to them they were not doing their brand any favours by engaging with the public in such an aggressive way and would be better off having something which 'gave' to the pass public; music, some speakers, etc.



I like it even less when what is being fostered on me seems to make no sense. I went to the gym yesterday for a quick lunchtime swim. I gave the receptionist my gym membership card and a pound deposit for the towel before going through the turnstile when the receptionist turned to me and said "Would you like a drink?"

Now I understand why, even if I don't care for it, the server at Starbucks would ask me if I would like a muffin when I order a cappaccuino, or a shoeshop salesperson would ask me if I would like some polish or a shoe tree when I buy a pair of shoes, but I asking me if I want a drink when I going to have a swim, well that is a bit of a stretch. I didn't like it. I told him I didn't want a drink but I would like a swim.

These brands just don't do themselves any favors by trying to make that extra sale. Perhaps the numbers DO add up. It would interesting to find out if these staff prompts actually generate enough sales to justify the little bit of sales training required to push today's hot sell AND overcome the level of negativity they will be building up around the brand.

In contrast, I was walking through St. Pancras/Kings Cross station a few days ago. There were a few Gt. Ormond St. volunteers dotted around the station concourse (never more than one, not a pack like Friends of the Earth folk) holding a bucket into which they wanted passers by to put their cash. They didn't make a sound. They stood still and just waited.

I immediately put all my change into one of the buckets and told him of my encounter with the Friends of the Earth "volunteers" in Victoria. He replied, sagely, "they are probably on commission".

No comments: