Sunday, February 08, 2009

Glaspaleis

Heerlen, where I have been visiting a lot recently, isn't the most inspiring or beautiful town I have visited. That said, the centre does have some nice bits and one wonderful building, the Glaspaleis.  Even my trusty blackberry camera couldn't destroy its looks, though next time I am taking my 'real' camera and try to do it justice. 

The Glaspaleis ('The Glass Palace') is an example of early modernist architecture. Designed by Fritz Peutz and commissioned by Peter Schunck, it was completed in 1935, to be used as a department store. As well as the architecture being leading edge for its time, the lack of back room storage, meaning that the stock would essentially be on display as well, was new. The intent was to give the atmosphere of a market. It is now used as a library, an art house cinema, an art gallery and architectural centre. It is lovely inside. 

In 1999 it was put on the list of the 1000 most important buildings of the 20th century by The International Union of Architects. For more information, click here

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have totally missed your profession (although I'm sure you're brilliant at what you do) Why are you not a professor somewhere? I would take your course...