Monday, November 10, 2008

The Power of Emotion

Listening to some of the speakers at The Battle of Big Thinking last week, I found myself becoming rather cynical at the weightiness of their intellectual models as a way into their subject. We had two papers about the quantum theory of communications, a paper grounded in theories of sex and death, one on bio-mechanics and another on how the brain works (it was too complex to make any more sense of it). Whilst not against interesting hooks to introduce a subject nor borrowing from other disciplines to make a point, see here for an example, I did find myself longing for something very simple and very persuasive.

An example might be that all we are attempting to do with communications is to move people, connect with them as emotional beings. Whilst I realise it isn't an easy task, it is does form the basis of a lot of what we do.

I just happened to chance upon a brilliant example of this. The blog is Richard Huntington's adliterate, the particular post I have in mind is this one; 'The Power of Raw Emotion' .

No comments: